What you’ll need this week: This week, we’re making a wreath, adding a bit each day. For the wreath, you can pick up a twig wreath at a craft store very inexpensively. You can decide if you’ll just make one wreath for the family or if each person will make their own. (They can always gift them to Grandma on Easter.) You’ll need to attach the items each day. Hot glue works, but using floral wire to tie things on and in works better. In addition to the wreath, you’ll need:
– Something gold (like garland or a sprig of gold)
– Feathers (or birds, whatever you happen to find and like)
– Something purple (it can be a flower, ribbon, fabric- it is up to you)
– Something black (flower, ribbon, do-dad, whatever you like)
– Something linen (ribbon, scrap of fabric, flower, butterfly)
– Something white (flower, ribbon, butterfly, lily, etc.)
Day Thirty-Seven: Monday: Betrayal & Arrest
Read John 18:1-14
Jesus Is Arrested, p.210-211 in Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
A Dark Night In The Garden, p.294-301 in The Jesus Storybook Bible
– Judas saw all the same miracles that Jesus performed as the rest of the disciples. Why do you think he would betray Jesus?
– Peter the bold stepping up again and cutting off a dude’s ear! Why do you think Jesus rebuked him?
– Today, we’re adding some gold to our wreath to represent the betrayal of Jesus.
Day Thirty-Eight: Tuesday: Peter’s Denial
Read John 13:36-38; 18:15-18; 18:25-27
Peter Denies Jesus, p. 212-213 in Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
– Why did Peter deny Jesus?
– What do you think went through Peter’s head as the rooster crowed?
– Do you ever try to hide your faith?
– Adding to our wreath some feathers to signify the rooster crowing at the betrayal of Christ.
Day Thirty-Nine: Wednesday: Jesus’ Trial
Read John 18:28-40; 19:1-6 and Luke 23:1-25
– Did Pilate want to punish Jesus? Why did he agree to it?
– Why would the people choose Barabbas’ release over releasing Jesus?
– Was any of this fair?
– Today, we are adding purple to our wreath, like the robe used to mock Jesus.
Day Forty: Thursday: Crucifixation
Read John 19:16-37 and Luke 23:26-49
The Sun Stops Shining, p. 302-307 in The Jesus Storybook Bible
Good Friday, p.214-219 in Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
– Take some time to discuss the impact of the crucifixion on your hearts today. What does the death of Christ mean? If you need a big word to focus on, Justification and Atonement are good ones to explore.
– Though Good Friday is tomorrow, we’re taking time today to reflect on what is coming. Today, we’ll be adding black, the color of mourning, to our wreath.
Day Forty-One: Friday: Burial of Jesus
Read John 19:38-42 and Luke 23:50-56
The Sun Stops Shining, p. 308-309 in The Jesus Storybook Bible
– What do you think the soul of Jesus was doing while his body was being buried?
– How do you think His followers felt?
– Today, we’re adding linen to our wreath, to represent the linen they wrapped Jesus in.
Day Forty-Two: Saturday: Resurrection
We’ve made it through. Today, is the last day of Lent. While today is the day the world waited. Tomorrow will be Easter, and look forward to his Resurrection.
Read John 20:1-10 and Luke 24:1-40
Easter Sunday, p.220-223 in Jesus Calling Storybook Bible
God’s Wonderful Surprise, p.310-317 in The Jesus Storybook Bible
– Do you find it interesting the Jesus first appeared to women?
– When they first realized the body was gone, what do you think they thought happened?
– What does the Resurrection mean for us?
– What have you learned about Justification, Atonement, and Redemption?
– Today, we finish our wreath. We add white, the color of the resurrection. And now your Easter wreath is complete. Hang it up or plan to gift it to someone special tomorrow, to remind them of the hope of Easter.